12-month contracted position as a part-time “Rural Venture Catalyst” for Oregon RAIN (Regional Accelerator & Innovation Network): www.oregonrain.org This is a remote position requiring the Rural Venture Catalyst to spend time in the East Lane County communities mentioned below, interacting with entrepreneurs, innovators, city and community partners, other supporters and service providers.
East Lane County — with emphasis on Lowell and Oakridge
Are you an entrepreneur who enjoys starting new things, being a part of something important and making an impact in your community? Do you get excited about the idea of helping other entrepreneurs pursue their dreams? Have you ever been called a “connector” because you enjoy referring people to resources to help them advance and grow? Are you looking for a “side hustle” that will allow you to create an entrepreneurial hub/culture in the East Lane County region? Are you a self-starter with a high work ethic, where you feel like you accomplish more in a day than most do in a week?
If you can answer “yes” to all of these questions, RAIN wants to meet with you. RAIN is hiring a Rural Venture Catalyst to help catalyze entrepreneurial efforts in East Lane County. This person will work very closely with RAIN’s Executive Director, Development Director, Venture Catalyst Network, and Marketing & Communications Lead (remote team) to continue to build upon the entrepreneurial ecosystem that is growing in the state of Oregon.
- Partner closely with the city leadership in Lowell and Oakridge, as well as the surrounding cities/communities, where appropriate
- Partner closely with RAIN’s economic development and education partners, including: Lane County, Business Oregon, the Lane Small Business Development Center, K-12, regional Chambers of Commerce, RAIN Eugene, etc.
- Map the entrepreneurial assets in the East Lane County region, determining the gaps and making recommendations for closing those gaps
- Develop, lead, and grow programs to support entrepreneurs and innovators in the East Lane County region
- Identify and connect traded-sector startups to needed resources: people (mentors/talent), physical assets (equipment, labs, office space), programs (accelerators/workshops) and funding (investment capital, grants, loans)
- Travel frequently around East Lane County to meet with entrepreneurs and community partners
- Build, maintain, and deploy a regional mentor network
- Stay tuned to the entrepreneurial activities in the region and state
- Identify and educate regional angel investors
- Partner with RAIN’s marketing and public relations partners to promote entrepreneurial activities in the region
- Work with regional partners and RAIN staff to identify, prioritize, and develop strategies around key regional entrepreneurial needs
- Coordinate with other Venture Catalysts in Oregon to share best practices
- Communicate with the elected officials in the East Lane County region about the economic impact of RAIN’s activities in the region
- Track and report key metrics
- Engage in fundraising, as needed
- Provide updates to community partners, the RAIN board of directors, and other stakeholders, as needed
- Be actively involved in the East Lane County region’s entrepreneurial community
- Must reside in East Lane County or the Eugene-Springfield area
- Must be willing to work remotely, remain organized, track/report metrics for the region, and remain connected to RAIN’s remote team
- Entrepreneurial background as an investor, entrepreneur, or related experience. RAIN is a startup itself and needs people who have entrepreneurial and self-starting qualities
- A bias toward action
- Extremely high work ethic
- Strong entrepreneurial network in the East Lane County region and beyond
- Strong communication, facilitation, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Self-starting ability; willing to innovate and adapt
- Strong leadership qualities
- An understanding of business nomenclature and what it takes to start a high-growth venture in Oregon
- Ability to deliver workshops on topics related to early-stage entrepreneurship
- Ability to coach entrepreneurs on business pitches and introduce them to potential funders
- An excellent mentor and motivator
- Self-motivated and able to work collaboratively with individuals from various backgrounds
- Able to navigate working with economic development organizations, municipalities, chambers of commerce, community colleges, elected officials, and any other organizations who serve entrepreneurs
NOTE: A RAIN Venture Catalyst MUST be at least ONE of the following “Required Criteria”:
A: An individual who has started and/or scaled a company with high-impact potential
B: An active angel investor
C: An individual who has a strong working knowledge of the Oregon startup ecosystem and cycle of entrepreneurship
$3,000 – 3,500/month (part-time contracted position: providing direct services in Lowell and Oakridge at least 2 days/week)
Estimated Start Date:
December 10, 2018
Please provide a resume and cover letter that explains your interest/fit for this position and what you know about Oregon RAIN. Include how you fit at least one of the three “Required Criteria” listed above. Include 3 references who can vouch for your ability to fulfill this contract. Send to: Caroline Cummings, RAIN’s Executive Director | email@example.com. Please send using the following subject: “East Lane Rural Venture Catalyst Position”
** All responses due by 5PM October 26, 2018 **
The Regional Accelerator & Innovation Network (RAIN) is a 501(c)3 non-profit organization that was founded to advance the formation of high-growth, innovative startup companies that generate jobs, wealth, and opportunities for the state. Oregon RAIN is run by experienced entrepreneurs and angel investors who connect entrepreneurs with strategic resources for launching and scaling business ventures, including mentor connections, educational and training programs, and access to capital.
Oregon RAIN builds entrepreneurial ecosystems in partnership with cities, counties, the State, foundations, and private funders. RAIN exists to assist entrepreneurs in establishing viable companies that generate jobs, wealth, and opportunities for Oregon. For more information about RAIN, visit www.oregonrain.org.